LIGHTNING SAFETY TIPS
LIGHTNING SAFETY TIPS!
- BE AWARE: Check the forecast before participating in outdoor activities. If it calls for any thunder, postpone any outdoor trips or activities!
- GO INDOORS: Find a safe enclosed shelter when you hear thunder. (Safe shelters include: homes, offices, shopping centers, and hard-top vehicles with windows rolled up.)
- AVOID WINDOWS, DOORS, PORCHES, AND CONCRETE: Do not lie or lean on concrete floors and walls! Lighting can travel though any m...etal wires or bars in concrete walls or flooring.
- AVOID WATER: Do not bathe, shower, wash dishes, or have anything in contact with water during a thunderstorm because lightning can travel though a building's plumbing.
- AVOID ELECTRONIC EQUIPMENT: Do not use computers, laptops, game systems, washers, dryers, stoves, or anything connected to an electrical outlet. Lightning can travel though electrical systems, radio and television reception systems, and any metal wires or bars in concrete walls or flooring. Equip homes and offices with whole-house surge protectors to protect appliances.